Tuesday, April 5, 2011

To-Do DIY Project

I saw a picture today, and I literally said out loud, "Ooooooh...." So, obviously, it's being added to the list of things to do in my some-day house.

This is so cool! Pre-cut, one-inch thick boards, drill a hole into the top, paint it with customized chalkboard paint, hang, and presto! So fun!

And if you are thinking to yourself, "Sarah, how the heck can you get customized chalkboard paint?" then I have the perfect answer for you. See, not many "do-able" home projects escape the clutches of Martha Stewart, who is the creator of the "Oh DUH, I could've made that instead of buying it" moment. She has a tutorial I copied into here, plus an added note from a reader on her site who tried this, then changed it a little.



Custom Colors How-To

Start with flat-finish latex paint in any shade. For small areas, such as a door panel, mix 1 cup at a time.

1. Pour 1 cup of paint into a container. Add 2 tablespoons of unsanded tile grout. Mix with a paint stirrer, carefully breaking up clumps.

2. Apply paint with a roller or a sponge paintbrush to a primed or painted surface. Work in small sections, going over the same spot several times to ensure full, even coverage. Let dry.

3. Smooth area with 150-grit sandpaper, and wipe off dust.

4. To condition: Rub the side of a piece of chalk over entire surface. Wipe away residue with a barely damp sponge.

*Side Note: This is thick and lumpy, so on the second batch, I made a "grout slurrey." Start with grout, add a LITTLE water, get all lumps out and everything wet, THEN add the paint. Add water as needed. Between coats paint thickens, so just add water (latex paint, not oil). Sand between coats to make smoother chalkboard.
________________________________________________________________________________
I can't wait to try this!! Plus, I have another DIY project coming up hopefully Wednesday, and I'm really excited to see how it turns out! But first, I must re-write a horrendous paper tonight. But, I suppose that is how life works--gotta get through the necessary to get to the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment