Friday, September 23, 2011

DIY in Instagrams

So, as promised, I am delivering up to you a lovely, super duper easy DIY project I did the other day. My inspiration was this:




With those ideas in mind, I went to Wal-Mart, bought some mason jars, increased my spraypaint collection, and went to town on these bad boys. I don't think I've mentioned this, but my camera was stolen this summer in Panama City Beach, so I'm left with my iPhone. Which is awesome, don't get me wrong. But with the iPhone comes the opportunity to Instagram every picture I take...so that's what I did with this project. (It makes me feel a bit more artsy smartsy.) Anyway, here's how it went:








The "love" jar above took a bit more work, because it involved a hot glue gun. And the burning of my flesh, which was not pleasant. Anyway, the really fun thing was that I was able to write and put glue dots on the jar, then spraypaint it, once it had dried. You could use a hot glue gun like I did, or Elmer's glue. There are pros and cons to both:

Hot Glue Gun:

Pros:
-dries quickly

Cons:  
-glue strings that must be pulled off (or they will show up on the jar once it’s painted)
-less control to change/fix design because…
-it burns your flesh

Elmer’s Glue:

Pros:
-more control
-no glue strings
-you don’t burn your fingerprints off

Cons:
-dries slowly, and because the jar is circular, you have to hold it while it dries at the proper angle so that the glue won’t run
-time-consuming

So...it's really a toss-up. But for me personally, I'll probably end up using Elmer's Glue, because I hated those little strings with a burning passion. HATED them. HATED them a lot.

Anyway, I gave the "love" jar away as a birthday present, but I'm hoping in the near future to put flowers in the other mason jars, and maybe get a floating shelf to put them on. Because right now they are just hanging out on my dresser, chilling, not serving any purpose, just begging to used, saddened that they are empty. And I just can't do that to those little guys anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment