Saturday, February 5, 2011

DIY--Corkboard

During the "snowpocolypse" I was able to complete a project I've been thinking about for weeks! I had a sad little framed corkboard that I desperately wanted to recover, and basically glam up.

Here it is before:


I decided to recover the corkboard with a cute little fabric at...drumroll please...Wal-Mart. I know, I know, but it was during the Snowpocalypse, and I was in a bind. If I do say so myself, it is rather cute! Wal-Mart pulled through for me. Who knew?

All I used was a hot glue gun, and the project was easy as pie! Here are my steps:

I covered the corkboard's front, and turned it over. Using the hot glue gun, I put a line of glue along the top of the back, and folded the excess cloth over, patting it down. It looked like this:


I continued that process, making sure to pull the fabric really tight. On the sides, I used a gift wrapping technique, and folded in the corners. I hot glued the rest of the sides, making sure to pull the fabric tight before pressing the fabric down. At some point during this process, I accidentally stuck my thumb in a giant glob of fresh hot glue, and burned the $&#*@($%&* out of the side of my thumb. It has since blistered up, and feels super awesome. Here's what the corkboard looked like completely hot glued:



I also decided it would be fun to make my own pushpins. My mom has a GIANT tub of old buttons, so I searched through it, finding nine I really liked. I hot glued these to flathead tacks I had previously bought, making sure to put massive amounts of glue on the tacks, so that the buttons are unlikely to fall off when pulled on. Here are the pushpins I made:



Isn't that pattern cute?! I really love how the entire thing turned out:



Since OU will charge me if I put holes in the dorm walls, I used Command Strips, with a "sawtooth" hook to hang my little beauty. So far, it's been holding strong! Let's hope it stays that way, and doesn't fall on my legs in the middle of the night...

Here's my little corner of my dorm. Excuse the fact that it is completely Theta-ed out, but come on! It's a fun theme to spice up my boring dorm room. (Remember how I said I HATE these plain white walls? It drives me nuts!!)



Hoorah for sprucing up my dorm. (Take that OU Housing!)

No comments:

Post a Comment